Sunday, September 7, 2008

Good news and a prayer request...

First of all, let me start with a story that got me excited. I knew a guy in high school, who was kind of the wild one of the group (we all know that one guy). Once, he had a gun pulled on him, and his response was to walk toward the man, ask him who he thought he was, and then chase him out of town (possibly to kill him) before running out of gas. He drove fast, drank a lot, and was simply a bit crazy. Somehow, him and this book nerd seemed to get along great. I recently got some news about him. No, not that he is dead or in prison, but that he had given his life to Christ and has completely changed. As usually, this did two things. One, it got me excited. I love to hear how Christ has helped turn someone's life around. Second, it made me wonder how many times I have been around him or others like him and just assumed there was no hope. You may recognize this thought, "It would only be embarrassing and he/she would never listen anyway. I would hate to make our friendship awkward." Don't get me wrong, I am not ashamed of my faith, but I haven't always shared when there was an opportunity. I am not saying that I (or any Christian) should always be in your face with our faith. Unfortunately, this does more harm than good in many cases. But, God gives us opportunities to establish relationships and make known what our faith is all about. I, like many others, don't always choose to use those opportunities when given. I don't claim to be perfect, but hoping to learn on a daily basis.
Next, I would like to ask for some prayer. Some good friends of ours recently moved to Las Vegas from South Carolina. There son is 3 and spent a lot of time playing with our oldest son Aaron. We recently found out that he is undergoing treatment for cancer. I don't know all the medical terms or lingo, but I do know that he has at least 2 tumors. One of which is on his brain. For his given condition, there is a 35% survival rate. I couldn't imagine getting news like this about one of my boys. I would appreciate any prayers for this young boy and his family. They have a lot of challenges in front of them and they need all the support they can get. Please keep them in your prayers.

1 Comments:

Blogger jason gabriel leonard said...

Hey Travis. You left a comment on my blog back in May. After starting the blog, I apparently took a loooong hiatus.

In any case, thanks for the comment.

Glad that you're in Chattanooga. It's a great town!

October 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home