Friday, July 18, 2008

Share Your Blessings!

Many of you have probably heard of Josh Hamilton by now. If you haven't, you should. His story is amazing. I have attached a link to an article he wrote himself. Check it out at http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447 . This is an amazing story that shows how big our God really is. I had to get up and go to work early the day after the home run derby was on TV, but I got so into his story that I couldn't stop watching. He didn't win the Home Run Derby, but he gave Yankee Stadium one of her greatest moments. His story had an impact that will far surpass any homerun hit there. Remember to say a prayer for him and others like him who are struggling. If we are honest, that would be all of us in one way or another.
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about my role as a Christian. God has really been working on my compassion for others. I recently blogged about a gentlemen that I helped on the side of the road one day (Picnic in the rain...). I have not been able to get him off of my mind. He wrote me a note that I keep on my visor, so I can see it everyday. I was driving home one day, after having a rough day at work, and looked up at it. I was reminded how blessed I have been and how needy others are. I have tried to call on a few occasions, and I hope to meet up with him again, to see how he is doing.
One thing that I really want when we get into our new house is a four wheeler. I have talked about it for a while, but this brought up a conversation between Kristina and me. What if I save up the money to buy one, and God places a family in my life that is having a rough time? Would I be willing to help them rather than buy something I have been saving for? I know it sounds kind of silly, but replace that four wheeler with something in your life. I have been blessed, and I don't think we need to live in shacks to be Christians, but I do believe that I need to rethink how I became successful, and what I am going to do with those blessings. I really believe that God has placed me in Chattanooga to be a part of The Net Church for a reason. He has recently started a work on my heart that I hope will continue to grow in a way to show His love to others. I can tell you this for a fact. You don't have to buy someone a new house or a car to show them Christ's love. All I did was help someone on the side of the road. In today's society, people are suprised by kindness. That saddens me, knowing that we live in a country so full of Christians. The last note that I would like to share about this story is how I have been impacted. I thought I had stopped to help someone on the side of the road, but in reality, I was the one being helped. Like my wise wife said, "It's funny how you can think you are helping someone else, but in reality God has put them in your life to help you."
Next time you are having a bad day, just stop and think about the things you have been blessed with. If you are honest with yourself, you should probably be praising God rather then complaining. Keep your eyes open for opportunities that God is giving you to share his love.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome dude. Josh Hamilton's story is awesome, but its just as great when us 'normal' people show Jesus to those who need it. By the way, lets try to talk Ryan into bringing Josh Hamilton to the Net to speak!

July 21, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home