Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Picnic in the rain...


Here is the beginnings of the Net. Saturday we decided to get everyone together that was in the Chattanooga area. Not everyone was able to make it, but those of us who did had a great time. We started out at a beautiful park on the TN River. That was quickly interrupted by a huge storm that came out of no where, so we did the only logical thing to do when you are soaking wet and cold. We went to Clumpie's Ice Cream parlor. We spent about an hour and a half visiting before heading to a carousel that is over a hundred years old. It was awesome to see the people that are going to be a part of this incredible experience.
Now for a serious note. Today, on my way home from work, I stopped to help a gentleman who had run out of gas. He drove an old work truck and needed a ride to get gas. In the process of helping him out, our conversation turned toward the bad day he was having. He has been a truck driver for over 14 years, but was let go today, because gas prices are hurting business. He had not even told him wife yet. This grown man broke down into tears and was obviously unsure of what his future held. I was able to help him pay for gas and gave him a little money to help him out. When compared to what he was facing, what I did was nothing more than a drop in the bucket, but the appreciation that I received from him was so worth it. On the way home, I must admit that I broke down in tears. My heart felt like it had been ripped from my chest. This was an incredible man with an incredible personality, who was placed in a tough situation. I am writing this for 2 reasons. First, to tell you that the feeling of helping someone who is really in need is worth every bit of effort. Second, to ask you to pray for this man. His name is Harold, and he is going through a very tough time. He never asked for help, and actually tried to talk me out of helping him, because he knew that I also had kids at home.
That wraps up this blog. I'm off for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan May said...

We hate we missed getting together with everyone... soon enough, I suppose. As for helping Harold: way to go (not that your looking for a pat on the back), but I love to see this heart in the people that will be forming The Net!!

July 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home